Ras Laffan Port Expansion, Qatar
Ras Laffan Industrial City, situated along the northeast coast of Qatar, is one of the fastest growing industrial cities in the world. Within just a few years it is expected to expand from 106 square kilometres to nearly 250 square kilometres. The city’s deepwater port is able to accommodate the largest categories of tanker and cargo ships, including LNG carriers and VLCCs (very-large crude carriers). Covering an area of 8.5 square kilometres, Ras Laffan port is in fact the world’s largest LNG export facility.
Qatar Petroleum (QP) intends to expand the existing Ras Laffan port facilities to accommodate the ultimate development of natural gas exports from the North Field, which is planned to be fully developed in 2024. The development of Ras Laffan Port Expansion Project (RLPEP) is planned to be implemented in 3 phases. DMC was requested to support the awarded EPIC contractor of the first phase covering dredging, land reclamation and construction of breakwaters.
The scope of services provided by DMC for this project comprised the following elements:
- Design of crown wall (from Basic Design based on breakwater calculations to Detailed Design)
- Detailed Design of reinforced concrete service channel in crown wall road slab
- Detailed Design of drainage outfall
- Basic- and Detailed Design of 3 types of small vessel landing platforms
- Basic- and Detailed Design of mini-spur for protection of landing platform on main breakwater
- Detailed Design of slipway
The services included furthermore:
- Design of navaids foundations,including offshore leading light
- On-site engineering assistance
- Advice on concrete technology